ChildFund and NDTV together help West Bengal recover from Amphan
As the country was fighting the COVID-19 pandemic, in May 2020, West Bengal was hit with another catastrophe, the cyclone Amphan which destroyed lakhs of homes and fields and claimed over six million lives. ChildFund partnered with several generous funders to bring humanitarian help to the most marginalized and affected people on the ground.
On June 7, 2020, ChildFund India, joined hands with the television channel NDTV to host the #AllForBengal telethon, a two-hour special program with the support of JSW Group, Indorama India, and JIS Group. Through the generosity of thousands of supporters, ChildFund collected donations to support the state to recover from this devastation with many prominent personalities. In addition, ChildFund would like to thank the numerous HSBC-supported ChildFund to reach out to the most vulnerable communities in 24 South Parganas district, West Bengal, and helping them rebuild lives post the aftermath of cyclone Amphan.
ChildFund supported needy communities by undertaking the following aid:
- Establishing temporary homes and shelter materials
- Home-based learning and activity kits for children to support and continue their psychosocial development
- Distributing food basket with 15-day worth nutritious ration for a 5-member family
- Helping with livelihood restoration of marginal farmers and returnee migrant workers
- Raising awareness about community water, sanitation, and hygiene to prevent water-borne infections.
SDG 2 - Zero Hunger, SDG 3 - Good health and well-being, SDG 8 - Decent work and economic growth, SDG 10 - Reduced inequalities